Thursday, March 12, 2009

Whitley Strieber reads this blog!

Whitley has a popular website [here's a link] and on wednesday evenings he participates in the on-line chat room. As a sort of lark - I log onto Whitley's chat room, and there are like 38 people, and there is a frantic inability to make out any conversation. Just a frenetic series of rapid fire posting.

I nervously type in "hello" in among the flurry of fans.

Whitley sees MIKEC, my forum name, and says: "Mike's blog is great!"

It was SO weird. It took me a moment to make sense of what I was seeing. How did he know about my blog? I asked some questions on the forum, and slowly figured it out. Then I checked and found that Whitley had left a really insigtful comment after the owl story. Later I found out that Mac Tonnies [here's a link for his blog] sent Whitley a message on twitter directing him to my owl story. I heard from the chat-room visitors that Whitley began his chat room session with an invitation to his fans to visit my blog. The internet is a curious thing.

I've always been extremely impressed with Whitley Strieber. I even met him once, at a conference in Arizona, we had a really nice chat, and he was supportive when I told him about my anxieties. It was a funny feeling, this blog has been up for less than a week and it's being complimented by the big-guy himself.

I later found out that Mac Tonnies had "twittered" to Whitley about the owl story, and that's how he arrived at this site..
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldnt find the chat

Anonymous said...

Not sure having Whitley Strieber read this blog is the most credible thing in the world.

Mike Clelland! said...

I met Whitley at a conference in 2007.

When I met him, I introduced myself, and spoke about how I was trying to come to terms with my own set of experiences, which seemed to point to a series of ongoing weird stuff, possibly UFO related.

I said, "Looking into this, I'm really - well - really freaked out."

Whitley said, "I should say so!"

Here's what he told me next:

"You know how when you look at a lake at that moment of a beautiful sunset, and the light is reflecting off the surface of the water. What you are seeing is the color of the sky, and the dazzling display of the sunset."

He made a melodramatic hand gesture to visually describe the flat surface of a lake out in front of him, and then he continued.

"But at the same time you may get a glimpse what's under the surface of the water, but you can only see a distorted refraction. I feel that's what's going on here. There is a LOT going on that we can't perceive, that's hidden from us - and what we DO see is distorted and refracted."

That is as good a definition as I've ever heard about this entire mixed-up quandary.

Mike C!