Monday, September 21, 2009

more owls


Two nights ago, I (again) sat in a meadow at sunset, and saw three owls circle around me. I was with a small team of students, and we all basically said: "Golly, this is cool!" This time there was nothing (that I know of) that might have been a trigger. No talk of God or my mother's mortality.

For reasons unknown, I have seen a lot of owls this summer. I spend a lot of time outside in terrain with owls, and this undoubtedly adds to my ability to see owls - but SO many?Am I making too much out of something that might be perfectly mundane?

My question to anyone out there: Has anyone ever seen adult owls in groups of three (or five)?

More owl stories here & here.
____________________________________________________

One more story: About 5 years ago I saw two Barred owls in the mountains near my house. They followed me at sun set as I walked along a trail. They would fly to a tree, watch me pass by, and then fly to the next tree and continue watching me as I walked along my path.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen owls... but never more than one at a time.

Red Pill Junkie said...

Maybe you should just change your aftershave? :-P

Peter Bernard said...

I've never seen an owl in the wild, but I live in Manhattan!

I enjoy your blog.

Lisa Ursu said...

Stuck my head out the door last night at around 2am while letting the dogs out, and heard that familiar call. I've heard that call a few times this past while at around the same time of night but haven't seen anything though.

Mike Clelland! said...

I lived in Manhattan for 10 years, and I saw lots of owls. I would see them perched on the ledges of buildings.

Alas, they were all plastic.

Peter Bernard said...

HAHA oh yeah I see the PLASTIC ones hahaha.

I also have been inspired by your blog to try to remember my dreams again, which I have not done for years. I don't sleep outside when I do this, however, as people might step on me or the cops might haul me in.

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

If owls are messengers, then whatever the message is with that sighting of 3 should be especially important. We have burrowing owls in Floria, with which I've had several experiences, but never with more than one at a time.

Brizdaz (Darren) said...

I hear owls quite often outside my house at night,but rarely catch site of any.
Crows to me are like owls to you,they're always around me,but rarely more than two at a time.

Maybe they just see me as a future meal.-)