Thursday, April 30, 2009

fireball

view out my south window
In February of this year, I was in my cabin getting ready for bed. I was walking around the house shutting the lights off, and I passed by a big window facing south. As I looked outside, I saw a very bright orange ball of flame streak downward to the horizon. It only lasted a second, and it was very distinct in the night sky. I'll add that it looked sort of cartoony, like a perfect fireball with a long tail of flames.

I didn't think much of it. I was in my house, so I have no idea if it made any sound. It looked like it was way off in the distance, over the mountains to the south. It looked like a completely natural event.

I'll add that I had a curious feeling that I had seen this same thing before. I calmly thought, "Oh, this again."

I turned off the lights and went to bed.
_________________________________________________________

Text added on Feb 9th 2012:
I just realized that looking out this window to the south would line up right around the star Sirius. Whatever that might mean.

the view to the south from my cabin in Mid-February 2009

Text added on Oct 28th 2014:
This post has had more hits than any othe post on this site—ever! I am not exactly sure why, except that there has been an increase of fireball sightings (similar to what I saw in Feb. of 2009) and perhaps people are searching out the word fireball. If anyone around the world googles that word, this post (with it's one word headline) would probably show up. So, it might be nothing more that that.

The image above is from a cool site called Planetarium.

Also, this post has been VERY popular...
_________________________________________________________

3 comments:

Red Pill Junkie said...

"I didn't think much of it. I was in my house, so I have no idea if it made any sound"Well, if it was a common fireball, it shouldn't make any sound.

rita said...

Nice Blog!

Sebastian said...

Somewhere in western Kansas, on my way to Colorado back in 1993 or thereabouts, I saw a huge fireball in the sky north of I-70. The flames burned in several colors (including green, blue, yellow and I think magenta) and incredibly a sort of fizzing hum was clearly audible over the road noise. It took maybe ten seconds to descend, disappearing over the horizon. From its size and discernible morphology, it seemed quite close, but I neither saw nor heard an impact. The others in the car were unfortunately asleep.