Monday, June 27, 2022

Alaska glacier expedition

Huge terrain in the Wrangells

Close-up view of the photo above. Our teammates on roped up glacier travel.

I spoke about a 30-day course in Alaska with Shawn Stratton on his HOT DRINKS podcast. Some readers here might not know this, but I spent over 20-years in outdoor education, and got to travel in some of the most beautiful wilderness in North America. It was great to share some powerful memories from a hard trip in the big mountains. Epic is an understatement!

  90 minute audio linked HERE  
.
Also available on apple podcast, linked HERE

The images below are of me and one of my co-instructors, Phil Schneider. I'm in the red parka. In whiteout conditions it's very easy to get disoriented, and it happens to birds too. A little goldfinch landed on my boot, seen in the close-up. He saw us and we must have been the only things visible to him in a frozen ocean of white.

Please click on any images for a HI-rez view.

A tiny visitor

A little goldfinch needed a place to land, and chose my boot!

Co-instructor Aaron Divine on the Nabezna Glacier

More about The Wrangell mountains on the NPS site HERE, and on Wikipedia HERE
___________________________________________

No comments: